50 Years in the Making
Wow. We’ve been in business for 50 years! A lot can happen in 50 years—a lot can really change. But one thing that hasn’t changed, is our dedication to doing the job right, no matter what.
Here at Ken’s Automotive & Transmissions, we have served the Frederick, MD community for 50 years, and we plan on serving it for many more to come!
Built from the Ground Up
Ken’s Automotive & Transmissions started from humble beginnings in 1968. Our founder, Ken Mead, started out without much, just a little repair shop. But through hard work and determination he built the business up and passed it along to his son, Mark Mead.
The transition between the owners was seamless, and the values which founded Ken’s Automotive & Transmissions were passed on to the next generation.
Way Back in 1968
With it being our 50th anniversary, we’ve been thinking a bit about the past. We’ve been feeling a bit nostalgic. The start of Ken’s wasn’t the only thing that happened in 1968. Here’s a bit of what else was happening, way back in 1968:
- The average cost of gas was $0.34/gallon.
- The Chevrolet Camaro cost $3,500.
- The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Clean Air Act, and Vehicle Air Pollution and Control Act all go into effect in 1968.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated.
- Senator Robert Kennedy was assassinated after winning the California Democratic primary for the Presidential election.
- Intel Corporation was founded. Today, Intel continues to lead in the technology world, developing processors used computers.
- Tommie Smith and John Carlos took a stand at the Summer Olympics in Mexico City. After winning the gold and bronze metals in the 200-meter dash, the athletes raised their fists and wore pins as symbols in support of African-American civil rights.
- Former Vice President and Republican nominee Richard Nixon won the Presidential election.
- The Beatles released The White Album, featuring experimental music recorded during a trip to India, the album immediately topped American album charts.
- The Tet Offensive begins in Vietnam.
- Apollo 8 was the first spaceship, with humans inside, to orbit the moon. The iconic “Earthrise” picture was taken during this mission.
Keep on Looking Forward
No matter how much we like reminiscing on the past, we need to look forward as well. Here at Ken’s Automotive & Transmissions, we plan on continuing our high level of service, and to continue satisfying our customers. If you have any questions about your car’s maintenance or feel your car might need a check-up, call us today at (301-662-5100).